February 19, 2009

Cute But Devilish



If your a regular...then you know that I have two JRT's (Jack Russell Terrors ermm...Terriers). And that they dominate my world. I admit that fully and without reservation. Take Clarice in the above photo. You don't have to be lucky to get shots like this of her, she ALWAYS looks this alert and adorable. Well except for the unfortunate garbage incident.

They do have some odd behavior though. Clarice has an obsession with textures that are not supposed to be were she finds them. Example. When I was sick I opened up a sleeping bag and added it to the blankets on the bed when I had the chills. Clarice bustled her little butt down in the covers, licked her paw a couple times, then licked the blanket, noticed the zipper track and licked it....her little brain apparently registered that the track was not supposed to be on the blanket so she started to chew on it. I said 'leave it'. Passed back out. Woke up an hour later and the bed was covered in little black plastic nubs that used to be zipper tracks.

Brassiere hooks....same thing. Not that I leave my unmentionables scattered around. But sometimes if I'm in a hurry one might end up draped over the chair in the bedroom. Well my little Clarice-a-mo doesn't waste anytime, she takes the hooks off. And we all know that a bra without hooks is about as worthless as 'tits on a boar hog'.

Her own toys are not immune to this treatment either. Take her squeaky mouse for example. When she initially got it she ran around joyfully squeaking it for about a minute and a half (which is a VERY long time is JRT speak, by the way). Then she settles down to business...notices that there is a little cloth tag on it, off it comes. A tail...it must go too. Ears, eyes, feet, whiskers, nose. Gone, gone, gone! She's left with just a body, holes wear the eyes and nose were and all extremities chewed/pulled off.

Do your dogs (pets in general) have any weird behaviour?

22 comments:

Shelley said...

Your dog is cute and quite a character! I don't have a doggy yet but I do have a kitty that likes to lick plastic bags!

Tami Weingartner said...

Shell...lick plastic bags. That is truely bizarre.

Unknown said...

Ahem, you know most of Ruby's idiocies by now, but she is a chewer upper too!
Your comment about the boar hog cracked me up! She's too cute!

Anonymous said...

Trixie will walk up to TNT and lift HER leg like she's peeing on him. No clue why she does this. She just started one day and has done it ever since.

Tails licks the rought side of the TV.

Tami Weingartner said...

To anyone who is not a regular to DVM's blog....Tuesday is 'Ruby Tuesday'...and Ruby Tuesday is a great day cause it's all about her devilish Corgi Ruby. The pictures are great...the content is funny. And you should definatley put it on your Tuesday must read list!

Tami Weingartner said...

Carrie...that is really odd...Trixie is claiming him for her own I think. And Tails...well Shell's cat has a plastic bag fetish so Tails is in good company.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Clarice takes a mighty fine adorable photo! Chance only had a chewing thing for wood when he was little, I had to stop that at the log stairs with some hot pepper sauce. Lately he has to play ball right before he eats his supper..he just refuses to eat, then my hubby throws the ball inside a couple of times and bingo he is back to his bowl...Border Collies must work for food too?? It is strange and just recently became a noteable behavior. He doesn't chew anything up ..well except for his deer leg outside:)
Think sports bras! No hooks!

The Wife said...

Well, my JRT, Pepper, must kill whatever makes noise. The noise must be removed from the toy at all costs within 1 minute flat!

Anonymous said...

Not really! My pug only eats tennis balls and that fluff around them. But she really loves to eat grass. She would spend hours doing it if let her.

Train Wreck said...

I too have a Terror..I mean Terrier. Yes she does the same thing to her toys. And she loves everyone and everything. So in turn she thinks everyone and everthing love her! So she is a kisser. Chickens, cats, people! Oh my!

Bekah said...

Jaco, my mutt, has the same type issues. He is growing out of chewing, but a few months ago my brother had come to visit, and as he left he picked up his laptop bag and slung it over his shoulder. To our surprise it flew across the room. Jaco had sabotaged the buckle on BOTH straps. JUST the buckle. Dogs are funny that way.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. My Lab Chloe, when there is nothing fluffy to lie on she goes and gets something she likes, fluffs it up with her nose and then lies down to enjoy it. She is also very good at rapid fire farting :P

Anonymous said...

Oh - very cute and naughty is she!

Oscar doesn't chew stuff inside - only sticks outside. But he does lick himself clean all over like a cat...

Claudia said...

My cat Henry likes to lick things, he will lick the bottom of the kitchen cabinets, the wall in the bathroom and he likes to eat string, and he will steal the ear buds for the iPod and carry them off.

Dog_geek said...

Clarice is a cutie! Z is like that too, although the only thing he's ever chewed that didn't belong to him was when he was 10 months old and he nibbled all the buttons off of a sweater I had left on the floor. But with his own toys - definitely. He's convinced that the tags must be removed, eyes must be nibbled off, limbs, anything that sticks out.

Tami Weingartner said...

Far Side...my sports bra has 10 hooks up the front....lol.....it's the super duper sports bra for people of the watermelon tribe.

The Wife...that's Charlottes games too...kill as quickly as possible.

CG...our JRT that is no longer with us, used to take the 'fur' off her tennis balls. Neither of our current girls are even remotely interested in balls.

TW...your girl is a Princess...and knows it, and wants everyone else to understand as well. GOOD FOR HER!

Tami Weingartner said...

Bekah...I hope your brother wasn't to PO'ed about that. LOL!

Sarah...rapid fire farting must be a genetically programmed lab deal. I've never meet one that couldnt clear a room.

Tami Weingartner said...

Claudia...does the cat hide the ear buds?

Dog Geek...I'm so glad Z has a shared dysfunction...I thought Clarice was the only one. I was starting to get a complex.

Michele said...

Awwww... your Clarice is absolutely cute as a button... I don't have a puppy but my kitty, Tomba, will often bite the head off the toy mice we give him...
it's pretty creepy... LOL

Tami Weingartner said...

Michele...Tomba sounds like he knows his job!

Claudia said...

The ear buds are never to be found, you have to buy new ones. We all know NEVER to leave them lying about.

deedee said...

I have a terror too. It's in the form of a rottweiler, though. We named her Bandit but we call her the dog from :) well, you get the idea. Bandit does not allow rugs on the floor! When I'm not looking, she grabs the rug, runs outside and has it chewed up within minutes. Oh that dog!