July 21, 2011

Bodie Island Lighthouse


Bodie Island Lighthouse, Outer Banks North Carolina
When I planned this evening excursion to Bodie Island to photography the Lighthouse.  I had envisioned a glorious sunset with the lighthouse lens illuminating the sky.

Well it started out well...beautiful blue skies and wispy clouds.  Chad put down the back hatch of the vehicle and settled in on the tailgate content to let me walk the grounds looking for the perfect vantage point and deciding on a lens. As you can see, the Lighthouse lens is covered for repairs...but "no worries" I thought, "the sunset would make up for that".

After about 30 minutes I could see Chad starting pacing around, it quickly became apparently what was making him nervous.  This incredible storm was rolling in...fast.  They don't call this area "The Graveyard of The Atlantic" for nothing.  The mobile phones started ringing, our family calling to warn us of the severity of the approaching storm.  My husband started to pack up.  I belligerently dug my heels in.  No way was I leaving till I photographed the storm.  We compromised.  It was worth the wait.  I'm glad I didn't get the traditional sunset.  This is so much better.

I'm going to post another shot from this adventure early next week.  It's a slightly more spooky version. Please come back Monday to check it out!

Thanks to Skywatch Friday

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the moody tone you captured.

Jan n Jer said...

Wow...great shot...I love stormy pics! The obx is such a beautiful place!

forgetmenot said...

Tami, Great skies don't always have to be colorful to be impressive. And, what a wonderful lighthouse!! They always are fun to take photos of--great shot. Have a lovely weekend. Mickie :)

genie said...

WOW!! Your sky is really similar to mine...those ominous gray clouds moving in. This photo is beautiful. I think our gray skies are every bit as beautiful as the bight cloud filled blue ones. Nice photography. Genie

Susie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dee said...

Wow that is impressive.

Anonymous said...

That storm looks exciting. I love storms :) Good for photography

Pheno

Hildred said...

Marvelous photo, - nature gives us some wonderful opportunities to display her wonders, and a stormy sky is one of them.

eden said...

Great capture of the dramatic sky.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I agree - this is deliciously moody! Great shot.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

It may not have been a beautiful sunset sky, but the mood is awesome. Looking forward to see the sunset pic though.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment !
I can tell you, that our sky is mostly like yours in this photo, but three summer months give many times colourful sky, when we have light also during nights.
I will come back and see your stormy photos:)
Happy weekend to you!

Benita said...

Wonderful shot of the dramatic sky.

Samantha said...

Absolutely stunning. MUCH better than the traditional sunset photos!!!

thomas said...

Nice storm shot,sometimes we don't get what we come for.

Betsy Brock said...

wow...great shot and interesting story to go with it! I love stormy clouds!

Stratoz said...

Marvelous sky. It is great to head into an adventure with hopes and desires, but keep the adventure going even if the sunset doesn't show up.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very good photo.

Regards!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

This is so amazing!