November 20, 2011

Lifestyle Photography Tips | New Castle Family Photographer


For Sunday Stills this week we were asked to share a Portrait Session and some tips to improve Portraits.  This is a Lifestyle Session done with my Sisterella and her beautiful children.

Tip 1... Location.  It's super to have the location either be the choice of your subject or relevant to their life in some way.  This location was chosen because the children's father is an Engineer on the railroad.

Tip 2 ... Photos from behind.  I love the above photo.  Colin setting off and Anna following.  A priceless narrative to where they are in their life right now.


Tip 3 ... Not all photo need a constrained crop.  Frame for the subject/story NOT for the 'picture frame'.

Tip 4 ... If your subject is low to the ground. Then get down on the ground and shoot from their perspective.  Alternately you can shoot from up high...I love my 3 step ladder (I always have it with me now).


Tip 5 ... Background.  Before you press the shutter make sure that your background is clean.



Tip 6 ... Wait.  Let your subjects breathe.  Let things happen.  I like this photo better then the one above it.  And in a few years when Colin is all grown up, Sisterella will like this one better too.  


Tip 7 ... Shoot the funny stuff.  Mum with the 'props' makes a fun Facebook profile photo.


Tip 8 ... Be on the look out for the sweet stuff.  It wasn't hard to see what was going to happen once Anna Sophia picked a couple of flowers and headed back towards Mum.  My camera is to my eye the majority of the shoot.


Tip 9 ... Let the treasures be in the shoot.  Colin had a Railroad spike and Anna had given Mum the flowers.  They were equally proud of these found 'treasures' from our morning out.  No use in asking to put them down and tempt a hissy-fit.


Tip 10 ... Move those Focus Points.  Moving the Focus Points on the camera is now second nature to me.  It wasn't always.  But once I got used to doing it ... it stepped up my composition game.  Yes you can focus and recompose, which I do frequently for my still subject.  But for moving subjects or my fast moving Polo photography moving those Focus Points gets me a shaper better composed picture every  time.  It's second nature to me now...like adjusting Aperture and Shutter Speed.


Tip 11 ...  Get a variety of lighting scenarios.  Front light, back light, side light.  Opportunities for flare or a silhouette shot add some drama to the Gallery that you present to your subject.  And allow your artistic side to come through.

And finally...

Tip 12 ... When you are looking for a location.  Scanning for the next place to move your subjects...your camera needs to be up to your eye.  You need to be looking through your lens so that you can see what will be in the shot.  See the environment from your lenses perspective.

Happy shooting!

15 comments:

Linda said...

These are absolutely stunning. Great tips too!

Anonymous said...

Wow - these are magical shots. They feel natural and not posed.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

These photos are absolutely beautiful. I need somebody to take some of these for my family cause my camera is just to slow to take proper people pics.

K Soucy said...

Wow, what a great photo shoot and lovely family.

Ed said...

Fantastics shots and tips, I prefer shooting outdoors in natural light, its just better that way..:-)

Noke said...

Sehr schöne Fotoserie klasse Bilder.

Gruß
Noke

Firas said...

Great and superb portrait shots. I like the cuteness and the candidness portrayed!

Just Ramblin' said...

Amazing photos and great tips. Thank you so much for sharing. : )

Tami Weingartner said...

Linda, Ladyfi, K Soucy, Ed, Noke, Firas, Just Ramblin....Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Great stunning proffesionally framed shots, i loved 3 of them curled up together, wow!! amazing

thecrazysheeplady said...

Really nice shots and the tips are outstanding. Thanks for sharing both!

Tami Weingartner said...

Firefly...someday I'll fly over and do a family session for you. It will be my absolute pleasure!

Anonymous said...

Love these shots!!! Great tips too. I'm always doing a quick scan of the background. You don't want antlers! lol

Great Job Tami!

WildBlack said...

Absolutely amazing captures :) I love the composition in most of them.

Stasha said...

What a lovely session. The last shot is so dreamy.