June 1, 2009

Darlington Polo Club



I love polo! Love it. Don't have the nerve to play (not to mention that my dear Obie would probable just keel over of a heart attack if I asked him to give it a go!). But am a avid fan. That the sleepy little town of Darlington, PA has a polo team is amazing.  That said sleepy little town is a mere 25 minute drive from the farm is sweet.  The team plays in Darlington on a sand field that is about 1/3rd (my estimate) of the size of a regulation field. And on Sundays a couple of times over the course of the summer they play in East Palestine, OH on a regulation size field.


The cost of admission is $5 per person, under the age of 16 and your admitted free. You back your car up to the field pop the hatch and set up your tailgate. Quite the deal. Dogs and allowed. And Miss Charlotte Pup Pup knows when it's Friday night. Her little self hovers around me until I leash her up and load her in the car. I have only missed 1 game in four years. I plan my vacations around the schedule.

The great outdoors, horses, food, and dogs allowed. Good clean fun! What more can you ask for.  If you live in Western PA or plan to visit.  Give the Darlington Polo Club hotline a call at 724-814-7022 and find out if there is a match scheduled.  Oh course I'll be Blogging and Tweeting about it all summer as well.  Hopefully will get my camera settings figured out to bring you better pictures.  Anyway you won't regret it....promise!  Look for Charlotte and myself...our tailgate is always open.
Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

The Wife said...

Very interesting. I have never been around polo. Looks very exciting.

Unknown said...

Polo matches are great fun. It's pretty easy to follow the game too. It's funny cause most of the regular fans that are at matches week after week are non-horsey folks. If you get the chance to go, do so....you won't regret it.

Tami

Libby's Library said...

Tell me - you did pack a picnic lunch - right? I don't give a hoot about the polo, but I can always talk about FOOD!

Unknown said...

What a fun day! I would love to see that.

Shelley said...

This sounds like fun and that it would be fast paced action! I like the fact you can bring your dog!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to a Polo Match. Looks like lots of fun.

I have something for you HERE

Far Side of Fifty said...

Polo..they did that in the movie "Pretty Woman" LOL..no stomping the divits if the field is sand! But I bet it gets packed down..
I am not sure if Polo is even played here in Minnesota..but hey if you enjoy it, and you can take Charloette with you that makes for a great evening outside! :)

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

One can never quite forget the polo match in that movie.... uh.... the one with Steve McQueen and Fay Dunaway and her name was Vicki (thanks Vicki for your post which jogged that memory). Well, you know what I'm talking about.

Claudia said...

Where is Darlington PA? I honestly never heard of it, but then again, PA is filled with little towns. Sounds like a fun time. NW is about 1 1/2 hours from Allegheny Co.

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Tami, wow, great shots. It looks lovely over there, and you're right -- what a perfect way to spend an early evening. Wish I could join you some night. Too bad ND is so far from PA. :)

Tami Weingartner said...

Neas...Oh yes polo matches are all about tailgating. Some pack a picnic...and some seem to bring everything but the kitchen sink.

Tami Weingartner said...

Vicki...Thank you very much I will be by to get that. I love awards! And welcome to my blog. Hope you stay!

Tami Weingartner said...

Far Side...no divot stomping in Darlington. But when they play in East Palestine OH there is a grass field and plenty of stomping.

Tami Weingartner said...

Lulubelle....I'm off to find that movie. I hope it's available on netflix.

Tami Weingartner said...

Claudia...Darlington is off of Rt.60. I think if you were coming you would probable get off at the chippewa exit. From there it's about 10 minutes. It's about 1/2 way between New Wilmington and the Pit Int Airport. If you think you want to join us some night email me at h(dot)bluehorizon(at)gmail(dot)com
and we can figure the best way in for you.

It would be fun to meet you!!!!!

Roxane....I wish you lived closer too. But hopefully some day we will meet for a cuppa and a chat!

A New England Girl said...

LOVE polo! When I was in college in Edinburgh, Scotland, we used to take the train up to St. Andrews to watch polo. They would even do one fundraiser a year where they would play on the beach. Such a nice, lovely day out... lots of friends, fun, and oh the champagne! :)

Glad to see you're enjoying these special events... wish more people in the states were interested in it. :)

Alicia

Julie Powers said...

Great Blog! I grew up watching Darlington polo and i now play along side my dad and brother! I love to hear about people who love to come watch Darlington polo it really isn't like any polo anywhere else in the world! The dirt field the lights and the great crowd make it so much fun to play!

Tami Weingartner said...

Julie! Thanks for visiting my blog. And of course I recognize your name. You play well!!! When you stated playing regularly last year...you created quite a buzz with the fans. Especially us 'girl' fans. We are very happy to be so well represented!

Anonymous said...

I adopted an older grey polo pony this past May. He played for 14 seasons and is now a retired gentleman at my home in Canfield,OH.
He is Jockey Club registered with name of Mr Harwood, however his stable name was "HoHo" as he was a Christmas gift years ago...I am ytrying to see if anyone out there may have a photo of him playing at Darlington Polo Field.
My email is susiequus@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

Anonymous said...

found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later