June 16, 2009

The Sugar Shack Gets Tricked Out Vol. 2

Bookshelves!!!
I had the wall recessed in a bit for the walk in closet so the door could be flanked with book shelves. Unfortunately I only have half my books unpacked. So the shelving has been a slow and tedious process....I'm having to pick the ones I want to keep and recycle the ones that I'm not totally enamored with.
Anyway this was step numero uno in the 'Sugar Shack Trick Out'. Storage. So I lost a little space in the bedroom. But I gained a nice size walk in closet and a wonderful set of built in shelves. There was much debating on between me...Dad...the builder...and hubby on the finish of the shelves. My Dad and the builder wanted me to stain and poly urethane the shelves. But as you the entire dimension of the house is only 540' sq ft. So keeping that in mind I decided that I just wanted to paint everything the same color as the bedroom walls.
What do you think....are you for the monochromatic look or should I just have stained them?
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog and registering for the giveaway!

What did I expect to see in Iowa besides corn? Nothing. What I did see in Iowa besides corns was a lot of rolling hills that I didn't expect. And lots of trees! And corner stores named Kum and Go - which both amused and appalled me. And a lot of bars. :-D

CindyDianne said...

Oh, and I really like the mono chromatic look for small spaces.

Shelley said...

I think it looks great! I've always wanted built in bookshelves!

P.S. You asked about that "prayer of the woods" sign - it's located at Tahquamenon Falls in the Upper Peninsula - they have it posted in their park. I'm sure you could have someone enscribe this same poem for you into a wooden sign.

A New England Girl said...

I think it looks lovely the way it is. What a creative way to gain even more space. Your little nook looks much cozier with this addition - hope you enjoy it! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Tami, You made the right choice! Looks great ..your eye only stops on what is on the shelves..
Great redo of your small space:)

Wanda..... said...

You knew best...it looks perfect!

The Wife said...

I'm with everyone else. I like the choice you made. Why would they even question the woman?!

Libby's Library said...

Built in bookshelves - HEAVEN!
They look fantastic.

Tami Weingartner said...

CindyDianne...thanks so much for visiting my blog. I've planned summer road trip for me and hubby that routes through Iowa. So of course I'm much interested in things besides tractor dealers and corn. LOL!

Tami Weingartner said...

Thanks everyone! I just love my books and the thought of them stuffed into boxes was borderline tragic for me....just bein' dramatic here. LOL.

Claudia said...

Looks great, terrific use of minimal space...

DayPhoto said...

Those are really nice shelves. A book nook...reading at it's best.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Linda said...

Just as they are - they're very classy! I love this look with a whole all of bookcases.

Anonymous said...

I really like it!

Tami Weingartner said...

Linda, Linda, Carrie....Thank you!

Martha said...

I think you made the right choice :-)

Unknown said...

I love it. Monochromatic is the way to go. Smooth and sleek! : )