October 16, 2008

Fall Comes To The Nursery

Upper pond

Acer saccharum 'Legacy' aka Legacy Sugar Maple

Betula papyrifera 'Canoe' aka Canoe Clump Birch

Fall is my absolute favorite season.  If your a tree hugger (literally) like me then your favorite season is fall too.  Mother Nature turns out in all her glory doesn't she?  I could walk the fields all day this time of year....no matter if it's sunny or drizzling.  I just can't get enough of this farm in the fall.  This is why I have not completely packed this dream in yet.  I just love it.  I want to protect it.  Save it for future generations.  Wax poetic till the cows come home....err better make that.... Wax poetic till the Jack Russell Terriers come home.  There that was better.
 
Canin lupis pain-in-the arses aka Charlotte Pup Pup

6 comments:

Dog_geek said...

Awwww , Charlotte is a cutie and looks so happy! Great pictures - fall is my favorite season, too!

Unknown said...

Aren't the colors just spectacular right now? I have filled my camera's disk up within the past few days and now my computer is getting ready to purge.
Do you have a Flickr account to share pics? Would love to see them!

Tami Weingartner said...

I don't have a Flickr account. I will have to research that. Is it easy to use....cause I need easy! And free....I love free?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great Photographs! I can tell you are a Nurserywoman at heart. I love that you use the scientific names..it puts them in place for me. What is your zone there? We are a 3..but can do some 4's. How is that variety of Birch? Resistant to the Bronze Birch Borer? We have lost lots of Birch in Minnesota..die back from the top down. SAD. Charlotte Pup Pup seems to be enjoying herself too!:)

Tami Weingartner said...

Far Side....we are on the cold side of zone 5. Canoe is actually a variety of birch that my father started growing years ago. We never had a problem with Bronze Birch Borer in them. So I would say HIGHLY resistant. The problem now being that the cultivar is not prevalent anymore. We only have a few left here. In the late 90's switching to nigra cultivars because that is where the demand is. Of course now....people want papyrifera again. SIGH....

Tami Weingartner said...

PS....interesting that Dirr doesn't list it at all. And it's a really nice cultivar.