October 27, 2008

PTSD Over The Black Locust Part 1

I think I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Really.

Ike took 1/3rd of one of the twin multi-stem black locust that are on the border between the cottage we live in and the nursery. We thought that we could just cut out the trunk that was damaged and leave the other two trunks. These trees are old and huge. You can see the power lines to the far right of the photo. So these trees are like 60' or so. Old, very old. And loved, very loved. There were two of them side by side. Both multi-stem. And the flowers in the spring...Fragrant and wonderful.

That was not to be.


Easy-peasy to cut out the damaged trunk of and still have 2/3rds of the tree. That was the plan. It was a good plan.

Hubby ... "Were going to have to take that tree down."
Me ... "What. Are. You. Talking. About.?'
Hubby ... "The Locust. It's cracked. When it goes it'll fall on the power lines and across the road."
Me ... "I don't care."
Hubby ... "We won't have any power. Someone could get hurt. The whole road won't have any power."
Me ... "So?"
Hubby ... Stares. Rubs his head. Stares.
Me ... "No one cuts trees down w/out my permission. You are just crazy. Saw happy. You just want more work for your little girlfriend the Stihl Farm Boss. Manish. ABSOLUTELY NOT...I'M THE BOSS OF THE TREES."
Hubby ... "I hate to see it go. I do. But it's not really safe."
Me ... "Okay fine. I'll come out and you can show me."

So out we go. And he shows me this.



Me ... "That little crack?" Incredulity oozing.
Hubby ... "It's not little it runs the whole length of the tree. It's going to fall down."
Me ... "Your crazy. I'm sure you can put those steel rods in it to support it."
Hubby ... "What."
Me ... "Whatever. The tree is fine."

Well. The power company didn't think so.
Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Tami, I totally understand your position. Some trees are like old friends. So get out your hanky..cause that tree is a hazard..that could kill you or someone else or one of the dogs. Sorry..unless the power company gives it an extreme haircut..and those results are not very pretty..a big trunk with a couple of branches because they have been topped. The tree should go the way of the firewood. Sorry:(