March 23, 2009

Kindle Date Recap

I spent an hour at Starbucks with a lovely lady who let me paw over her Kindle on Friday.  And paw I did.  Best thing...Kindle has the Oxford built into it.  Need a definition.  Scroll to it and the meaning shows up.  Seriously.  I love that.  I read with a dictionary as a companion .  I need to know what words mean.

The next thing I noticed.  No glare and no eye strain.  It's like reading paper.  How Amazon did that, I don't know.  But it's wonderful.  

I left Starbucks determined to buy a Kindle.

Friday night I snuggled into bed with a wonderful book...Gardens of Delight....can't remember who wrote it (sorry!).  But as I was reading and turning the pages...and well immersed in reading.  I thought...ut-oh I can't get a Kindle.  I love books...actual bound print on paper BOOKS.

Saturday...same thing.  I'm a paper girl.  It's got to be books or nothing.  Saturday afternoon.  I was spring cleaning.  As I shifted books off the nightstand, kitchen table, moved totes filled with books, moved stacks piled on the floor.  I stopped.  Stared at the books.  Had a mini-breakdown.  Came to the conclusion that I either needed a bigger house or I absolutely no more books can be purchased.  A bigger house means more to clean.  I hate to clean.  But not buying books.  Not so much an option either.  Soooooo......

Sunday afternoon I came back to work.  Did a little billing.  Then logged back onto Amazon to read the forums about the Kindle.  There is a 30 day money back guarantee.  I have Amazon credits from the Coin Star and gift cards so that brings the price way down for me.  Which is great.  There are a ton ...... I mean a ton of free books....and books under a $1.  Pretty much all the classics are free.  So by converting those ...... much room will be freed up on my bookshelves

Monday morning....I ordered it.  I have 30 days to try it.  I'm going to download a bunch a freebies.  And read for a few days on it...not switch back and forth between real books.  See if I can get into it.  I'm also interested in having my Grandpa try it.  He is an avid reader and it's hard to get him to the bookstore/library.  He depends on us to pick books for him.  If we both had Kindles we could share an account.  I like the 'sample' the book option....so he can read a bit, decide if he likes it...before we buy.  

I'll let you know after I read on it a while.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me know how you like it. I am a book girl too and love books. I have so many and have no where to put them :( I was thinking about having book swap party this summer. Invite friends to bring a munchie and a bag of books, set up a table in the yard and swap books. Get rid of ones you do not want and get new ones in return. Think it's a good idea.

Bekah said...

I agree with the above poster, please let us know how you like it! I love books, but usually dont like to read anything too long on the computer, so I wonder if the kindle is out for me!

Tami Weingartner said...

I want to come to the book swap!!! I think I'm on the other side of the state from you though. ROAD TRIP!!!!!

I'll keep you both updated on the Kindle. I can say it's not like a computer screen at all. It's weird. Not sure what the technology is.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

It will be interesting to see if you can get used to not holding the book in your hands. If money is not an issue for you, the local library might appreciate good clean volumes of books it doesn't have on the shelf already (most library budgets for new books are now suffering.) Keep us posted

Tami Weingartner said...

Lulubelle...I do donate books to the library that I don't think I will read again. They either shelf them or sell them in the 'Book Basement' where decommissioned library books go to get sold for a buck.

Either that....or I leave them places. Like the laundromat or coffee shop.

Shelley said...

I'll be interested to know how like your kindle. I've been interested in it. I recently did a book swap w/ a fellow blogger (we mailed each other our books)and have been thinking about doing it on a bigger scale.

Dog_geek said...

I'm also very interested in hearing how you like it. My first thought when I heard about the Kindle was that I doubted I would like one, but the more I hear about them, the more intruiged I am.

Tami W. said...

Yes! Will definitely report on my Kindle thoughts after using it for a couple of days.

DayPhoto said...

Thanks for for fun game! I am the Elinor Dashwood of Sense and Sensibility.

Linda
http://coloraodfarmlife.wordpress.com


You Are...Elinor Dashwood!
You are Elinor Dashwood of Sense & Sensibility! You are practical, circumspect, and discreet. Though you are tremendously sensible and allow your head to rule, you have a deep, emotional side that few people often see.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am anxious to see how well you like it. Book swaps..now there is an idea! I love trees also..that's why I usually buy second or third hand books..that and I can buy more! :)

Claudia said...

How many books can you store on the Kindle? Is it battery operated?

I did not go to the Phipps, when I went by there were many moms pushing the Escalades of baby carriages into the Conservatory. You know how narrow the walkways are, and I did not feel like getting trampled or run over. I will wait for a sunny Sunday when I can go in peace and quiet. This weekend we want to go to Meyersdale Maple Sugar Festival. That is south Somerst Co., haven't been there in years. It is this Sat and Sun. with all you can eat pancakes with REAL maople syrup...Yum Yum.

SkyBar Farm said...

I too am curious about the Kindle. I am an avid reader and my bookcases are overflowing. Please let us know how you like it.

Unknown said...

I had no idea what they were! I saw your entry and then went to Amazon to see what the heck they are about. Oh boy, a new gadget! My mom I think would love one. They sound neat. I'm curious to see how you like yours.

Tami Weingartner said...

Claudia....it holds 1500 books. Which is amazing to me. I've never heard of the Meyerdale festival...off to check it out on the net.

Hello Sky Bar!

Anonymous said...

I saw a lady with one on the plane a few months back. I thought Yes I need one until I saw how much they cost and I about cried. I don't need one that badly. But I sure am jealous you got it for a good price.

Train Wreck said...

um I must be way out of it? I haven't heard of a "Kindle" blink blink... I am a small town girl, with a husband in charge of the remote, lol. Sounds like a good thing, I am with you. I like books, but they are expensive, and where do you put them? Let us know??

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Tami, I've been behind on my reading and see it's been a while since you posted. You must really love that Kindle. :) Seriously, hope you come back soon, and I am waiting to hear too. As an author, I am not liking the idea of the Kindle...love books, love holding them and turning the pages, all that.

Unknown said...

Hey Tammy! Hope you are okay. Haven't heard from you in quite some time. Are you too wrapped up in your Kindle to blog? Or is it this spring weather? LOL!
Take care. Hope to hear from you soon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Tami, I am just popping by to add my sentimentss to Roxanne's and Amy's hope you are just too busy with Spring Work to blog..but hey we miss ya..:)

Libby's Library said...

Have you spent so much time with your Kindle, that You've forgotten us?
Hope everything is okay - I miss you!