March 19, 2009

To Kindle or Not To Kindle

SIGH....By now you've heard of Kindle right?  I read.... a lot of books.  Like 2 to 3 books a week sometimes more.  I like big books.  The bigger the better.  But big books even in paperback are expensive.  And honestly....I'm out of room.  I have books on shelves, night stands, boxes stored at the house, boxes stored at the office... I leave books at the coffee shop when I'm done with them and I don't think it will be something I'll read again anytime in the future.  I send books to friends.  My new closet will be faced with built in bookshelves.  And still I need to de-book.

I need an intervention, or do I?  Maybe what I need is a Kindle.  It holds like 1500 books.  And if you run out of space apparently you can delete them cause Amazon keeps a record of what you purchased...forever.  

At first I was a bit miffed at the price....but then I added up the cost of the new book shelves and trust me...they don't hold 1500 books.  So as a bookshelf....Kindle is cheaper.  eBooks for Kindle are anywhere from 6-10 bucks.  And there are tons of classics that cost nothing. 

Then I thought....hmmmm does the Author make the same money?  Diana Gabaldon (Queen of the big arsed book) posted that she makes more money on eBooks.  Her royalty is 50% on eBooks.  So that assuaged that pondering.  There is also the ease of trying out brand new writers.  There are places out there in cyber land where you can buy 'unpublished' work (meaning...self published) in .txt format which is supported by Kindle.

Think of the trees....the paper, the wood for bookshelves.  I'm all about saving trees.  What do you think folks?  Anyone got a Kindle?  Anyone want one?  Anyone vehemently opposed to eBooks?

14 comments:

Tami Weingartner said...

Come to think of it....I wonder how many trees have gotten the axe because of my reading habit? Shuddering.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

I'm not sure what I think about it. I like the idea of holding a book in my hand and turning the pages.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

The other thing, the books I don't read from the library are acquired from from used-book stores and the thrift shop and would balk even at paying $6 to $10. OK, I'll shut up now. I deleted my first comment because I sounded like such an idiot.

Tami Weingartner said...

I know...me too. That's a struggle for me too. But I don't think it could possible take over all my reading. First I have tons of books that are on my re-read..that I own. Second I really like going to the bookstore and prowling through the discount bin. Third...the library and there doesnt seem to be a way to rent books for Kindle from the library.

So I thought taking all that into consideration that I would just buy one....maybe used and try it out. But something is still holding me back. What I don't know. Books are such a tradition.

Tami Weingartner said...

Lulubelle...Second comment.... I'm similar. I will very very rarely buy a new author in a new book. I usually borrow/rent from the library or I paperback swap it. Then if I like the author I will buy new from then on.

The only way I will buy a new-to-me author is in the discount bin or if it comes HIGHLY recommended from a source that knows my reading habits.

Tami Weingartner said...

Oh and Lulubelle...I dont' think you first comment was idiotic! I got to read it before you deleted it.

Linda said...

I'm in two minds. We have run out of room for books, but I do love the physicality of them almost as much as the content. They all have a different charachter!

Libby's Library said...

I've never heard of "kindle".
As for me, I just don't think that I could read a book online. I love being able to keep a book with me..waiting at the doctor's office, in airports, etc. etc.

Unknown said...

That is really cool. I am with you, the bigger the better and if it is series I'm there! I have so many books I don't have room for them. DG is my favorite too :)

Tami W. said...

Linda...I feel the same. The process of holding the book has to contribute to the actually feeling reading gives. Also...I love book stores.

Neas...the Kindle has a receiver in it similar to a cell phone (except there is no charge per use) Anyway you can select the book(s) you want download directly to the Kindle. You can preview books (free samples) as well. You are not connected to the internet while reading the Kindle itself hold 1500 books. So instead of bringing 1 books to the doctors you would be bringing 1500 books! The charge on the battery last like 2 or 3 weeks of continuous use.

Spruce...big books rock!

Tami Weingartner said...

That above post was me!?! Posted from the wrong email account.

Tango said...

$6 to $10? Most newer Kindle books are only a dollar or so cheaper than the hardcover version.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Very interesting, I have not heard of a Kindle before. I have lots of book too...I have several friends that I trade books with to keep them out and about. I buy most of my books at thrift stores..or I put them on my Christmas list. I am old, what do you give an old woman anyway..books til her eyes give out..then you buy her books on Cd's.
I guess the jury is still out on this newfangled device..I am anxious to hear your opinion:)