November 10, 2008

Leesburg Falls

Are these seedling hemlock?  I really have not a clue....Far Side are you out there?  We grow Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) here at the nursery and we start with 2nd year 2x sheared (2-2).  So they are already substantial and woody.  

Perseverance.

I love how things morph in the woods.


Mum and I went for a hike with the dogs in the woods.  Leesburg Falls to be precise.  Hmmmm, why no pictures of the falls.  Why no pictures of the dogs.  Why no pictures of Mum.  Well....Tami and her camera were not syncing at all.  Not sure why not.  But yikes...the pictures were rough.  And It's a shame because the Hemlocks were gorgeous and the light was great.
Next time I go back I'm taking the 35mm SLR.  Film folks.  Maybe I can get a good shot.
But the hike, the company, the view were wonderful.....you'll just have to take my word for it.  

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hey! They could be Tsuga canadensis, did you look under the needles? Two whitish bands should be visible. The needles should be almost regular two ranked, flat and flexible. That is about as much helpful info as I got out of my old dusty books. Hard to ID with a picture, but the whitish bands should be the key ID here. Hemlock is not found in Minnesota, there may be a few of them in the most eastern part of the state along the Wisconsin border. Seedling variety can vary also but not too far off base. Also you have to look at habitat..wild struggling no pruning vs nursery coddled pruned which makes a fuller more saleable plant. So I am sorry I cannot positively ID it for you..but check the underside! Most woody plants will give you some clue who they are, you just have to know where to look! It is a great photo by the way! :)

The Wife said...

Great photos! Hope you and your camera get in sync! I have those moments quite frequently. I could only imagine takin' my heatherns near a falls! I'd better wear my swim trunks!

Libby's Library said...

Found your site via PW. Wow - what beautiful photos! I'm really impressed!

Adventure girl said...

I take your word! Glad you had a good time and sorry your camera didn't cooperate;(

Anonymous said...

Those darn cameras! Last night it snowed HUGE flakes. I went to take some pictures of them. When I used my flash it looked like stars in the sky. It was really neat.