December 11, 2008

I Miss Narnia

I miss Narnia.  I really do.  As a child I could sit and read these books over and over.  I wore a set completely out.  It was so real to me a place of talking beasts, walking trees, Fauns, Satyrs, wardrobes, lamp posts and magic rings. 

I often wander whether I love trees and animals because of Narnia or whether I loved Narnia because I loved trees and animals.  Either way the thought that a place existed through a wardrobe where animals and trees were our friends kept me enthralled for years.

When the new Disney movie came out for the Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe .... I immediately went and saw it.  And I loved it.  I somehow missed Prince Caspian in the theatre.  But Arctic Fox mentioned that he watched it and thought it was so-so.  So I rented it last night and though I didn't think it was as good a LW&W... Liam Neeson is still the voice of Aslan and the kids were the same.  And seeing the talking animals ... whose portrayal is so majectic.  Lets say LW&W was 5 stars for me and Caspian was only 4.5 stars.  

It's been at least 20 years since I last read any of the Narnia tales. It's high time that I spend a little time with C.S. Lewis and read them as an adult.

Did you read Narnia as a child?  As an adult?  Have you seen either of the Disney movies? 

13 comments:

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

I too miss Narnia and my set is falling part but still useable. And yes, I read Narnia when I was a youth. And I read the series to our son, when he was a kid. And we watch the PBS movies about Narnia, and I saw LW&W when it came out in the theater, and I loved it...

Bekah said...

I read the entire series several times. I had the cartoon version, and even wrote my own series about fauns in third grade. I was THAT kid, but you know what? I loved it. Still do. I cant wait to someday tell/read these stories to our future children.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of it until one of the guys here at work told me he was taking his kids to see it. Still have no clue what it's about.

I wasn't a reader at all when I was younger. Now I read alot.

Libby's Library said...

I know that I must have read these, but I don't remember. My daughter just bought the movie, so we will have to watch it this weekend.

Linda said...

I've missed going to Narnia. The last time I was there was in grade eight. I think it's high time I went again.

Tami Weingartner said...

Oh carrie...you must make the time to visit. You will not regret it!

Neas I can not wait to here what you think of the movie.

Happy visiting Linda....I know I'm going to the library to check them out tomorrow.

Claudia said...

I never read the series as a child but when my daughter was young we read quite a few of them.
I loved the movies, I hope they make more of them.

Melissa B. said...

Hey there, you Superior Scribbler, you! Just checking in with the winners, to see what's going on at your place. Also, I'd like to tell you 2 important things. First, please don't miss my Silly Sunday Sweepstakes tomorrow...you can contribute to the legend of the Superior Scribler by helping us out! Also, I've been nominated for a pretty neat education blog award. You can vote for me, the Original Superior Scribbler, by visiting my place and clicking on the EduBlog icon. Thanks so much, and hope you visit soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh - I love the Narnia series and have read it as a child. Now as an adult I have a boxed set of all the books. I've watched some of the BBC episodes, and also the first film, which I thought was very good.

Dog_geek said...

I still re-read all the Narnia books every now and then. I must have read them dozens of times by now. And I somehow missed Prince Caspian in the theater, too - I guess I will have to go rent it if it is out now!

Tami Weingartner said...

Claudia...I hope they make more of them too!

LadyFi...I will have to put the BBC movies on my netflix list.

Carolynn Anctil said...

I recommend a series of books to you by Robin Hobb. The first is called Assassin's Apprentice and is the first in The Farseer Trilogy. There are another three books that follow that called the Tawny Man Trilogy. I've read these over & over again. They're filled with wonderful court intrigue and a wonderful connection to animals.

Tami Weingartner said...

Carolyn...thanks I'll check her out next time I'm at the library. I love book suggestions.