December 15, 2008

The Many Colors Of Smoke

12:59:19 PM
First let me say....this is an abandoned trailer at a farm.
DVM's Wife wrote a post last week.  And because of it I remembered to get two new smoke detectors.  (So thank you DVM's Wife).  While perusing the instructions for the proper place to hang the new ones.  I noticed the strange fact that Mobile Homes need about two to three times the amount of detectors as stick built homes.  Interesting I thought.
Come Saturday I got a lesson in why.  I went to my Mum's to help her make x-mas cookies... I'll leave that experience to another blog.  But afterward we walked over to a farm that they purchased where clean up is in progress.  
The boys had pushed this trailer off of it's foundation and were in the process of lighting it up.  This fire was lite w/out an accelerant.  The first couple of pictures were taken about 1 1/2 minutes before the top one.
I totally 100% get why mobile homes need so many smoke detectors now.
1:01:39 PM
Black, Dark Gray, Light Gray, White....smoke comes in many colors.  All represented here. 

1:02:16 PM

1:07:36 PM

Test and change batteries on smoke detectors folks....and if you have a travel trailer or mobile home.  YOU NEED AT LEAST ONE IN EVERY ROOM.  Were talking seconds to get to safety.  When it was all said and done this thing went from first flame to on the ground in a matter of about 9 minutes give or take a few seconds....along with several trees.  And Ohhhh...the poor trees are being cleared to make room for more farmland.  Sigh....you all know how I love trees...so I was feeling a bit bad for them while all this was going on.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty scary. Thankfully I don't live in a trailer house anymore!!! I will now go check our smoke alarms.

Mrs. Pink Pearls said...

That is scary. Makes you think twice about checking the batteries. We JUST got our smoke detector. We haven't had it working in awhile. Thanks for reminding me.

Unknown said...

Wow, amazing pictures. I can't believe how fast that fire took place and destroyed the mobile home. We put up more smoke detectors in our home this weekend, tested batteries and went over our fire plan with our kids again. Its a scary reality, that and too much snow on roofs! Geesh! Thanks for sharing your story and informing more people!

The Wife said...

Wow, isn't that amazing. I have lived in a trailer a couple times in my life. I was always afraid but mostly of tornados. My grandma always said, "God hates trailers!"

Libby's Library said...

Man - those were some impressive flames. WE check our smoke detectors often, and replace the batteries twice a year. With all the years of having a slew of kids at home, I got paranoid about it!

Far Side of Fifty said...

It happens so fast..Great photos and info to share. Pictures sometimes speak louder than words. Thank you! I feel sorry for the trees too:(

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Great cautionary tale for anyone reading your blog who lives in a trailer or manufactured house. Our son used to be on the volunteer fire department. They never got there in time to save one, even in town.

Bekah said...

holy cow!

Tami Weingartner said...

I can see now why when hubby's pager would go off and it was a 'trailer fire' he was never in a big hurry to rush off to the fire station. It takes at least 20 minutes to get a truck out the door. I do not think I will ever be able to camp in a trailer ever again. Which is okay...cause I love love love my tent!

Claudia said...

It was unbelievable....do they not have any minimal standards when it comes to mobile homes and rate of flammability. I would never want to live in one now that I see those pictures. I did get new batteries, I think I had better get moving on their placement in the smoke detectors.

Tami Weingartner said...

Claudia I was thinking the same thing. This trailer/mobile home whatever the 'correct' term is....was an older model. Maybe the current regulations are different? But that would not explain the the instruction manual on the smoke detector...

DayPhoto said...

Oh, man! I hate to see the trees go!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com