October 28, 2011

The Railroaders Daughter

My Niece, The Railroaders Daughter

Jay Maisel says 'that in order to take better photographs you have to become a better person'.  That's a pretty powerful statement.  One that bears more than just a passing thought.

It's the opening of your heart that allows you to drink fully of the human experience.  We are given opportunities daily to expand our views.  Choices to harden or soften our focus and understanding.  We can acknowledge or embrace the views of others.  We can share in the miraculous experiences of life.

We can open up our hearts to other people and we can let them into to our hearts.  Let them see who we really are.  Not hide ourselves away in fear that if we let people in that we somehow we will not be enough.  That we will show everything and be found lacking.

For me the word "Namaste" is such a beautiful one word mantra that helps me on my path.  It means "the spirit in me acknowledges the spirit in you".   It reminds me that all creatures deserve respect. That we were created in love...and in love we must walk.

What about you...do you have a mantra that reminds you to stop and breathe and acknowledge?

16 comments:

Claudia said...

Fantastic shot, she is so cute and having fun. If you like the Phipps Fall Flower show it is a good one. I wonder if they got a new director.

Halcyon said...

A beautiful scene. I love how her hair is bouncing. :)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Tami, I'm so glad you stopped by. I've missed your beautiful images! I hope to stay better connected now; life's been busy and included many distractions! I'm also hoping to view your Skywatch Friday entry. Can you tell me which entry number it is? Finally, love this little girl. She reminds me of myself when I was little. I loved adventures and found them in the most ordinary of places. We also lived near train tracks so it's an evocative piece for that reason too. Thank you!

Forty Pound Sack said...

No mantra, other than occasionally, when I'm very stressed, "Breathe...."

Juana said...

What a wonderful moment you have captured here. It's so full of life and wonder... the little flower in her hand as she goes along is such a sweet detail! And your words have such wisdom...
Love it

Robin said...

What a beautifully thought-provoking post, and a gorgeous photo too. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog so that I could discover yours too.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

Another special photo. Your photos are inspiring me to take more of my own kids.

Tami Weingartner said...

Claudia...I'm going to have to look into Phipps Fall Show...I've never been there. It would be lovely to see I'm sure.

Tami Weingartner said...

Roxane...you show up in my Google Reader like clock work. I wish there was a way to comment right from there. But I bought a new computer and the reader works a little different so it will be easier (faster) for me to comment. But I always read...and I always love what you write.

Tami Weingartner said...

Forty Pound Sack....and we all know how important THAT is. Thanks for responding!!!

Tami Weingartner said...

Juana...I love when I see little girls with flowers in hand...it's like there own little magic wand. Thank you for your kind words.

Tami Weingartner said...

Firefly...I can not WAIT to see where this inspiration leads you.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my..she is beautiful and growing up! Lovely photo!

"Always take your camera along" cause if you don't you will miss something:)

chris said...

With no disrespect to the photographer, is it possible to take a bad photo of this girl? ;)

Anonymous said...

When I find myself getting overwhelmed I just take deep breathes and say really is this worth getting all worked up about?

Tami Weingartner said...

Chris...I know...she's a total cutie-pie!